Jord's Adventures in Norway

Jord's Adventures in Norway

Wednesday, September 10, 2014


YOO HOO BIG SUMMER BLOWOUT!!
                                  
Hello,
SO IT IS FINALLY P DAY!!!  I can't believe I have already been in the MTC for a week!  It feels like I just got here yesterday!!  I feel like I have so much to say to cover everything that has happened this past week and won't have enough time!  So here it goes...

 
So the first day here was a blur!  It was definitely overwhelming and there was so many things to learn.  I felt like it was the first day of kindergarten.  After dropping my bags off in my room I had to go straight to class and let me just say... the no English rule is real!!!  I walked in and my teacher Brother Smith (who is literally the best ever) was talking straight Norsk (Norwegian) and was like asking me questions!!  I think the look on my face was pretty priceless because he began to laugh at me.....Everyone here is so nice and helpful though!  I love the environment and the atmosphere here; it is so spiritual and unreal.  So in my district which is the Norwegian missionaries here - there are 11 Sisters and 4 elders.  Our zone consists of Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, and the West Indies.  Our district is the biggest the MTC has ever had and so is our zone. The elders are freshly graduated from high school except one and they are like babies haha.  We all consider them our younger brothers.  My companion is Sister Sydney House and let me tell you she is awesome!!  I absolutely love her and we hit it off right from the start!  We both like similar things, love to work out, and it feels like I've known her for more than 7 days.  We are always laughing and having a good time, but know when to be serious and work.  The other sisters in my district are so great!!  We all get along so well!  We all have the best time and are so great for each other!!  I know that we were all put together as a reason and that it is no accident that me and Sister House are companions.  I saw Sister Christansen (Lauren) right when I got to the MTC and her room was right next to mine!!  She was such a big help and definitely helped me adjust to the MTC.  I am so glad we were able to be her together even if it was for a short time! 
      
We have a very specific schedule that we follow by we wake up at 6:30, have personal study time, have breakfast, workout (30-45 min), have 30 min to get ready than have to be in class by 9:50 and are basically in class till 9:30 at night with the exceptions of meals and meetings or devotionals.  The food here isn't too bad, however I am learning what not to eat hahaha.  So I'm sure you are all wondering about the language.....  Yeah Norwegian is not easy!  It is very difficult, but I am slowly picking it up.  I know how to say some everyday words and we were taught how to pray and bear our testimony but it is still sounds rough haha.  We had our first real life teaching experience the 3rd day we were here and our investigator speaks no English only Norwegian.... You could say my companion and I's first lesson was a disaster!  We had no idea what to say, knew very little, and when we did try to speak the language we sounded so wrong and didn't say half of the words right hahaha.  At one part we were trying to tell our investigator to pray to God like he was a friend and it turns out we were telling him to pray to God like he is wine.....  We have had 3 more lessons with Erik (our investigator) and they have gone pretty decent!  I am starting to piece together what he is saying by picking out the words I know.  He talks very fast and likes to make faces at me and Sister House when he has no idea what we are saying.  On Saturday we had to wake up at 6 to do our service cleaning as well as on Monday morning.  Cleaning with Sister House is always fun because we laugh and try to make it as fun as possible.  Sunday was fast Sunday and that was interesting....  We went from 6:30 am to 5:45 pm without any food or water!  It wasn't too bad if you kept your mind off of how hungry you are and focused on the lessons and talks being given.  The past couple of days here at the MTC have been filled with much laughter with my district Sisters.  It is so fun being here with them!!  I love the constant spirit that is here at the MTC. 
It is just such a wonderful place and I know that I am doing what the Lord wants me to do.  Seriously I don't think you can comprehend how exciting and happy it is to get mail/dear elders!!  I literally do a happy dance and get so excited when Elder Abril brings the mail after dinner.  Thank you for everyone who has sent me mail, dear elders, and packages!!  You have no idea how much I love them, so please keep it up!!  Don't feel like you are overloading me because you’re not!! 
                                     
My district has a joke with me because I have gotten mail every day and they are always like "we know Sister Peterson got mail today, or how much did you get today?"  The Elders like to mess with me and make me flustered by seeing how long they can go without giving me my mail haha.  The MTC is an amazing experience!!  I constantly feel the spirit and just love being here!!  It is hard and I am definitely praying for the gift of tongues, but I am so excited to learn every day.  I look forward to going to class and just love the gospel and this church so much!!  My district is so awesome and we all help each other and are like family!  It amazes me how many missionaries are here and I just love to think that we are all here for the same reason!  I feel like there's so much more to say, but I don't have enough time!  If you have any questions or want to know more details please, please, please write or email me!!
 
Much love,
Sister Peterson

 Things I have learned/funny and random things:

·         Don't drink the orange juice
·         Do not sleep by the door
·         I have never relied on a watch more in my life
·         Your picture you send in with your mission papers is on everything so make it a good one!
·         Don't get discouraged
·         Do not let anyone make you feel or tell you you are unworthy.  If you have repented, taken care of business, and are worthy to get a temple recommend, YOU ARE WORTHY!!
·         Take care of business before you come, if you don't it will eat you alive and you will feel so guilty and will go home
·         It is funny to think that we don't know or use first names
·         Definitely getting used to having my companion with me 24/7, but it feels so weird if I am ever by myself now
·         We are called the Nords for short
·         Magnetic mission tags are genius!
·         Saying "guys" is a no no in the MTC, it's elder or sister
·         Don't eat the rice Krispy treats
·         I walked out of the bathroom with my dress tucked into the back of my undergarments....
·         Be fearless!!
·         Sister Neilson and Sister Hoggard said to their investigator poop instead of pope, so they were calling the pope poop.... hahahaha
·         Flashcards are so helpful
·         They serve BYU creamery ice cream on Sundays and Wednesday!!
·         Baby powder works miracles for sweat on armpits
·         Blueberry Muffin top cereal is heaven!! 



 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment