HAPPY NEW YEAR DERE!!!!!! I can't believe it is 2016!! That is so weird to say.....
WE FINALLY WENT SLEDDING!!!!! They have these little mini sleds here that you just sit on and they go so fast!! Sledding was a blast!!
Elder Phipps, Miller, Carver, McIntire, Tennant, me, Sister Allen, Dalton
Familien Paulsen had us over for dinner and we had the classic Norwegian Christmas meal. Meat, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, this purple stuff, jello with vanilla sauce, lots of chocolate, it was way deiligOnsdag:
- Visited bestamor and bestafar, they are doing great!
- Visited Helena Ørndal and she is so sweet!
-Today we organized and cleaned the apartment
Torsdag: NEW YEARS EVE
- No proselyting....
A member invited all of us missionaries and a couple of the YSA over for a New Year’s Eve party! Jolina and her husband have an amazing view of the whole city so it was perfect for the fireworks! Norway brings in the new year with a bang that is for sure! Their fireworks are insane! Like 4th of July on steroids! We had a taco buffett, played card games, and watched the fireworks! I was struggling staying awake.... It was so hard to stay up! By 11:00 I was laying on the couch haha
Fredag: 2016!! GODT NYTT ÅR!!
- No proselyting
The YSA and ward had an activity at Korsvika beach. We made a fire and roasted hot dogs and those that wanted went into the water!! I wish we were allowed to go in!! Those that went in were FREEZING!!! It was so cold!!! Korsvika beach is so pretty! Pelle, Elder Rappleye, and Faviola went into the freezing water!! I was a little worried Elder Rappleye was going to freeze to death! It was way fun to be with the members and have a koselig time
The Rappleyes invited us missionaries over for dinner and we had turkey casserole. Man Sister Rappleye is the best cook ever!! She never ceases to amaze me
We played our annual scum card games and man that gets intense haha
We played volleyball
Elder Dalton, Elder Miller, Sister Allen and I did the street stand... let me tell you I have never been so cold in my entire life!! I no joke could not feel my toes, fingers, or knees.... At one point we had to take turns going into the corner store to get warm for a couple of minutes! We didn't have too much success, but it felt so nice to be out doing missionary work again! After the stand we got hot chocolate to warm up!
- Elder Dalton, Miller, Sister Allen, and I wanted to do service so we cleaned the church
- Familien Dahlø had all of us missionaries over for dinner. We had mashed potatoes and yummy reindeer!!! It was so good!! The members here are so awesome and sweet!!
16 months!! I can't believe I have two months left..... Feels so unreal. I only have one more fast Sunday in Norway! So crazy!
At church Sister Allen and I got to teach the only young women who is 12 and she had brought a friend to church too! That was cool, she is less active and has recently started coming back to church so that is awesome. We taught her and her friend about Christ and I was surprised by how much her friend knew about Christ because it isn't common for people to know about Christ or be religious here especially little kids. The lesson went well though! They participated and were interested
Met with Jecon finally after the holidays! He is doing good and we are hoping to get him to start coming to FHE. I know Jecon knows this is true, he just has to act! Dang agency.....
***Not too much to report on this week...... with the holidays and stuff missionary work basically stopped so hopefully I will have more to say next week!!***
- my black year is over!
- we played so many card games over the past couple weeks and scum was the popular game we played. We all love that game and I am a pro at it by now haha
- IT IS GETTING FREEZING like FREEZING!!!!!!!!! The warm Texas weather sounds nicer and nicer
- I never thought I would be so happy to be back into the missionary routine!! I have missed it so much!!
Scripture of the week:
From the words of Joseph Smith:
“I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”
- This is perhaps the greatest risk anyone of us would take: To be seen as we truly are -Cinderella
- Happy New Year everyone!!! With the new year comes new goals!! I would like to invite all of you to make a goal that will bring you closer to Christ or strengthen your relationship with him. It can be something simple as praying every day, reading your scriptures before bed, going to church more, etc... It can be whatever you want and something that will benefit you personally. Don't however make a goal you know you won't do, make one that you will do and will help you and motivate you! I promise as you try to come closer to Christ you will see a change in your life and you will be happier!
- There is a great short little clip about the New Year and not looking behind you and moving forward!! PLEASE CHECK IT OUT
There is also a great talk I read called “The Best is Yet to Be” by one of my favorite apostles Elder Holland. Some of my favorite things that came from the talk are:
- look ahead and remember faith is always pointed to the future
- do not dwell on days now gone nor to yearn vainly for yesterdays, however good those yesterdays may have been. The past is to be learned from, but not lived in
- do not doubt the lord's ability to give you something better than what you already have
- you can rise above your past and truly see who you are and what you can become
- when something is over and done with, when it has been repented of, when life has moved on as it should and a lot of other wonderfully good things have happened since then, it is not right to go back and open some ancient wound that the son of God himself died to heal
- let people repent. let people grow. believe that people can change and improve. is that faith? yes! is that hope? yes! is that charity? yes! If something is buried in the past, leave it behind
- forgive and do that which is sometimes harder than to forgive: FORGET! And when it comes to mind again, forget it again!
***I could go on and on, but you just need to read the talk****
HA EN FINT UKE DERE!!!
Søster Jordan Peterson