Jord's Adventures in Norway

Jord's Adventures in Norway

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

After a trial of your faith comes the MIRACLES… and those miracles have come!


So Sister Gates and I have been working way hard these past 3 weeks and it has been kind of frustrating because we haven't had a lot of success, but that is part of missionary work!! You work hard and keep going! AND THIS WEEK OUR SUCCESS CAME!!!!

Monday:
We taught Nina and she is so good!! She totally believes in everything we teach her!! We are working with her on beginning to stop drinking coffee and trying to get her to come to church. She lives like 2 hours away, so it is hard for her to come, but oh she needs to come!!! We set a goal with her to come once in February and she was going to come on Sunday, but the roads were too icy to drive on... dang it

Enoch fed us his yummy pasta dinner again... He is too nice!
Tuesday:
For district meeting we talked about the Atonement and wow that was a powerful meeting. I am so grateful for my Savior and all He has done for me personally. I feel honored to be able to wear his name on my badge for everyone to see and to be able to represent him everyday.
Went to Elin's house and we met her little girl for the first time

So on the way home from Elin's we not only missed one bus, but two!!! How pathetic is that..... I just laughed.... If you don’t wave the buses down, they don’t stop and I was texting someone we were supposed to be meeting with and the bus drove by...... well such is life! However we were supposed to be meeting a Pilipino woman named Mayla and because we missed the bus, we missed her.... so that wasn't so funny.....

Met with Hem and Shanti! We gave them the picture Book of Mormon book to help them be able to read the scriptures and understand it better in Norwegian since they both are just learning Norwegian and don't speak English
So bus contacting for me is a scary thing..... My comp is way good at it, so she has been helping me to be way better and I did it!! As long as I start talking to the person as soon as I sit down, I am okay, but if I wait -  I talk myself out of it.... but I did it!! It is just kinda awkward here because you don't talk to people on the buses and the buses are so silent and people don't like to talk on buses haha

A convert that Elder Phipps and Sister Gates knew came to visit and she is solid, let me tell you! She is awesome! Her name is Beautrice! We got to hang with her for our dinner hour and she is so cute and has such a strong testimony.
Wednesday:
Felt like today was one of those nursing home days all day long! We started out with singing like always and then visited bestamor and far and then another member who lives in the same place named Helena. We were able to provide service for Helena and clean her house for her a little bit and that was way awesome to be able to help! We don't have a lot of opportunities to provide manual service labor here or really a lot of service in general, so it is always way nice when we can help out in any way we can!

Ready for a story...... so we went to bestafar with Elder Dalton and Elder Rolfson (an AP who was visiting) and that went good! And then we went to visit bestamor.... This is where it gets interesting..... So we walk in and I don't see Inger anywhere then I walk into her room to see where she is and poor thing is in her wheelchair half-dressed and needs help to go to the bathroom. Luckily I was in front so I immediately was like elders go wait outside! So then we go back to her and Sister Gates gets kinda nervous and I think a little freaked out around the old people because the other day I had to help Magnus with something and she stayed back haha, but anyways Inger needed help going to the bathroom and the nurses weren't coming so I was like well, we are here so let's help her! I helped Inger to the toilet and took her diaper off and then cleaned her wheelchair and I go out of the bathroom to let her go and Sister Gates goes "I'm pretty sure it says we can't change diapers in the white handbook..." I started dying laughing!! I still am not sure if she was serious or not...... If any of you know me, you know that that was not an easy thing for me to do!! My how a mission has changed me!!  I have found it is so easy to serve those you truly love! No matter what it is!

Met with Adam again with Stian and we talked and focused on faith and how faith is the first step and in order to develop faith we need to read the scriptures, pray, and go to church.

Thursday:
Today was a SUNNY Day!  We were so happy that we took pictures next to the window of the sun shining in! 
Julietta had us over for dinner and I am always way excited to go to her house because she makes the best Filipino food! Jecon and his girlfriend were there too so that was nice because we got to talk with them after and give Jecon the picture book to help motivate him to read!! Funny story..... so everyone knows my fear of meat on bones so usually I just like use a fork to get the meat off the bone and she had made some chicken wing things and after we had all eaten at least two each she comes in and goes, don't eat the chicken, it isn't cooked all the way! We all just look at each and are like great!!!

We had weekly planning and were going to do a power hour of contacting before and ladies and gentleman this is where the miracles begin!!! Within the first 10 minutes of walking, we stopped a girl and she motioned with her hands that she didn’t understand us… she was deaf !!!  I was able to talk to her and get her number.  I asked her if she would like to learn more and she said yes!!   Then we stopped a girl who spoke German and Sister Gates speaks German – so awesome!!!  She was visiting for the weekend and she wants to meet with the missionaries in Switzerland where she lives right now!! She was so nice and sweet!!
Friday:
There was a funeral at the church of an older member who passed away. Sister Gates and I were asked to help and wow that was such a humbling experience. I am so grateful we were able to help and do things so that they didn't have to worry about it. It makes me so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and to know that death isn't the end and that we can be with our families forever and we WILL see our loved ones again!

Cute Søster Inger Jørgensen who loves helping the missionaries and is the best member missionary and always talking to her friends invited Sister Gates and I over for dinner and we talked to her about family history and invited her to have a friend come to the church and we can meet with them about family history! 

On the way home we stopped another deaf girl!!! This is seriously so crazy how many deaf people we have met!

Saturday:
Volleyball was fun as usual! We got a new net and volleyball so that was way nice!

At the street stand Sister Gates yells my name and tells me to come to the people she was with and it turns out they were deaf too!!! They were so surprised that I knew sign language!! It is so awesome to be able to use it again!! It's funny because everyone I sign with I ask if they know Casper and they do! They said it is a small world in Norway so they basically know every deaf person here.

On the bus ride to Ella's, Sister Gates got stopped on the bus by a narco women and I heard someone say "where's the other one?" I knew they were asking about me, because many know we as missionaries travel in two and so as I was turning around to see what was going on, the women grabbed my arm and like starting yelling and talking to me and it was kinda scary!! Then after she got off Sister Gates and I just looked at each other and this other lady on the bus was just dying laughing and we talked to her. haha

THE GREATEST MIRACLE OF ALL!!! Sister Gates before she left her last area Moss got a referral and a girl told us to go visit her childhood best friend. So we looked up the address and headed out to find her!! I honestly was scared that her parents would answer the door and shut it and not let us talk to her.... We were way nervous and had no idea what to expect! We found the house, prayed, then knocked on the door.... the mom answered and gave the classic unsure face of who are you? We told her we were missionaries and when she was about to say they weren't interested Sister Gates brings up how she was in Moss and Amanda told us to come say hello! As soon as she said Amanda's name the mom's face lit up!! She went to grab Ella (Amanda's friend) and they invited us in to talk!! We talked about Amanda, how they knew each other, then they showed us videos from when they were little and we got introduced to the whole family!! They talked to us about missionary work for a bit, then Ella showed us her room (she is 16), we went back downstairs to leave and Sister Gates goes "we as missionaries share a really special message and I know it means alot to Amanda and to us, would we be able to come back and share it with you?" Ella right away said yes and then the mom, Kjersti (Chersti) invited us for dinner and said we can all talk after dinner!!! They don't really have a specific belief, so we are so excited!!! Their house was so warm and koselig and they were so welcoming and nice and oh my goodness it was seriously so amazing!! The mom even walked us to the bus stop!! We are so excited to go back and visit!!  Please pray for Familien Indstøy!  We can’t wait to meet with them!
 
Sunday:
Church was just starting and Adam walks in and sits by me!!! I ABOUT DIED!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

So Valentine’s Day isn't really a big deal around here, on the 14th it is Mother's Day here. So I made muffins for Sister Gates and I and then I made Salmon for dinner for us. I totally felt like wifey material haha
 
The ward had all the primary children give the women roses for Mother's Day and Sister Gates and I got one as well!
We had 10 minutes before we were going to go inside for the night and literally no one was out so just as we were about to head home we see one guy on the street so we are like okay let's talk to him! en til!!! HE WAS SO COOL!!! His name is Eric and totally willing to meet again!! Always go the extra mile!
Sister Gates and I tried to visit a less active and they were home, but didn't answer the door.... but it's okay because if they had answered we wouldn't have met this way nice lady from Africa named Christina who wants a Book of Mormon!!

There were so many members and people at church! As I sat and looked around I felt so much love and man I just love these people!! I felt like I was home, I don't know how I am going to leave in 2 weeks....

Jordan's Tidbits:
- My last time writing to you as a 20 year old!! I will be 21 tomorrow (Feb 16th).... wow I'm like a grown up now, but I totally feel like I am 16
- The snow here is endless..... However the sunshine has been coming out!!! FINALLY!!!

- Seriously the blessings and miracles from Saturday and Sunday especially are unreal!! Faith and hard work does pay off and bring forth good things!!

- For the first time in 3 weeks I did not fall on the ice!!

- For the first time in a long time, our week this coming week is literally all booked!!! This is truly a miracle and we are getting fed almost every day next week!! ! Miracles I tell you! Miracles!!!! I am so blessed to be here and these people and members are so amazing!! I truly feel Christ's love

Scripture of the week:
Matthew 11:28-30
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am gentle and humble in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Spiritual Thought:
Instead of being thankful for things, we should focus on being thankful in our circumstances- whatever they may be..... The choice is ours. We can choose to limit our gratitude, based on the blessings we feel we lack. Or we can choose to be like Nephi (a prophet in the Book of Mormon) , whose grateful heart never faltered.... We can choose to be grateful, no matter what! When we are grateful to God in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation. In grief, we can still lift up our hearts in praise. In pain, we can glory in Christ's atonement. In the cold of bitter sorrow, we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven's embrace... We sometimes think that being grateful is what we do after our problems are solved, but how terribly shortsighted that is.... How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain? Being grateful in times of distress does not mean that we are pleased with our circumstances. It does mean that through the eyes of faith we look beyond our present day challenges....This is not a gratitude of the lips, but of the soul. It is a gratitude that heals the heart and expands the mind... True gratitude is an expression of hope and testimony. It comes from acknowledging that we do not always understand the trials of life, but trusting that one day we will! - Dieter F Uchtdorf

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/grateful-in-any-circumstances?lang=eng

***For those that sent early birthday wishes because my birthday is tomorrow the (16th) thank you so so much!!! I may or may not have gotten emotional reading them hahaha I am a baby.... It seriously means so much to me!!!***
glad i dere!!!!
xoxoxo
sister jordan peterson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment